Different types of hand sanitizers based on their application usage
Sanitizer is a liquid, gel or foam-based solvent used to kill the viruses/bacteria/microorganisms/ pathogens on any surface like hand flat place or like this. Sometimes the hand sanitizer is not much effective in killing certain specific kinds of germs like norovirus and Clostridium difficile and fails to remove harmful chemicals. Poor knowledge and lack of usage of sanitizer sometimes reduce its effectiveness resulting in ineffectiveness against the removal of virus and bacteria.
The primary type of sanitizer is hand sanitizer and it may be classified as per the ingredients and use. Hand sanitizers can be classified as alcohol-based or alcohol-free. Alcohol-based products contain alcohol percentages between 60 and 95. Based on alcohol percentage, on application, it removes bacteria and viruses from the surfaces. Alcohol-free products contain disinfectants like benzalkonium chloride (BAC) or antimicrobial agents such as triclosan. Both types of sanitizers disinfect the zone or area very quickly and a few of the sanitizers also consist of glycerine making the surface soothing.
As per usage of sanitizer, it can be broadly categorized as under:
- It is used for washing hands to remove bacteria or viruses when usually soap and water are not available.
- Generally, they are gel-based and contain alcohol and glycerine to eliminate germs from the contact surfaces.
- The main ingredient alcohol kills the bacteria and other viruses instantly and very effectively.
- It is easy to use, convenient, portable, and needs the least time. It indirectly reduces infection caused to the stomach and respiratory tract.
- It reduces the dryness of the skin too.
- There are certain limitations of hand sanitizers that are too alcohol-based if the percentage of alcohol is less than 60 or form of alcohol, it wont work as well and satisfactorily as expected resulting in containing the spreading of virus or bacteria.
- Home sanitizer is the replacement or substitution of hand sanitizer and it is generally prepared in-home or locally.
- The main constituents are Rubbing alcohol, vegetable glycerine, germ killer, water and aromatic oil.
- This would essentially substitute the hand sanitizer and make the home or closed area germ, bacteria, or virus-free.
- Though the liquid sanitizer consists of lipid membranes of microbes and they function to make the virus or bacteria inactive to some extent, still it is not so effective to remove germs and other active viruses in totality.
- One of the types of alcohol-based rinse free-non sticky and stated to be skin-friendly liquid sanitizer is available in the domestic market.
- The basic function of sanitizer is to eliminate germs cells leaving human cells intact. The optimum% of alcohol required to work sanitizer most effectively is 70.
- Pocket hand sanitizer consisting of 70% alcohol kills 99.9% germs on instant use of it.
- It does not need water to disinfect.
- The sanitizer is skin-friendly with different fragrances.
- It is designed with ease of spraying technology mixed with mist so as to cover maximum areas in one go.
- It helps to stop the spread of germs that cause antibiotic resistant infections.
- When the germs like bacteria and fungi develop the ability to counter the drugs designed to kill then it is termed as antibiotic resistant germs.
- The infection developed by antibiotic resistant germs are very strong and are not sometimes controlled.
Alcohol sanitizer and Body Sanitizer:
- Consumers use alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol to combat the infection spread through surface contact.
- It is noteworthy that the addition of alcohol to a non-alcoholic sanitizer would impair the quality and it wont enhance its effectiveness.
- Alcohol based sanitizer consists of different types of alcohols with percentages ranging from 60 to 95.
- It is highly flammable and works against a variety of germs namely microorganisms.
- It also consists of some glycerine based chemicals making the skin soothing.
- However, some fragrances are also added to give it an aromatic scent. Body sanitizer kills bacteria, viruses, fungi in a specific period of time.
Now that you know about different types of hand sanitizers based on their application usage, we recommend you to use them and keep yourself and your surroundings germ free. Sanitizing your hands and surfaces is the only effective way to contain the spread of COVID-19 virus that has killed millions of people across the world.
With lockdown being imposed, we recommend you to browse through the online website of Moglix to purchase clinically approved sanitizers for complete protection of your family.