Generators and the Major Types That You Need to Know
The generator helps in converting the mechanical form of energy to electric energy. You can create Mechanical energy by using steam turbines, water turbines, internal combustion engines, etc. And a generator converts this mechanical energy to electrical energy.
The electric generator was first invented by Hungarian engineer Anyos Jedick between 1827 and 1830. They are also called Dynamo.
Generators are like lifesavers. They use fuel sources like natural gas, gasoline, or solar energy and convert them into electrical energy. Generators are useful appliances that supply electrical power during a power outage and prevent the discontinuity of daily activities or disruption of business operations.
It is based on electromagnetic theory. A generator basically consists of two components, a stator, and a rotator. A rotator is used as the part which generates a magnetic field. It usually consists of a coil connected to a power supply. This creates a magnetic field in the coil. The rotor is connected to a turbine that uses various energy sources like coal, natural gas, or water to convert energy to mechanical energy. The rotation of the rotor creates a flow of electrons in the stator which can be connected to a power grid to supply electricity to consumers. This is the basic function of a generator.
The main components of an electric generator can be broadly classified as Engine, Alternator, Fuel System, Voltage Regulator, Cooling and Exhaust Systems, Lubrication System, Battery Charger.
Types of Generators:
Mainly generators are engine generators and are also known as Gensets.
Generators range from small portable generators to large standby generators. So the main three types of generators are standby generators, portable generators, and inverter generators.
Despite the differences, all the types of generators need similar safety precautions and maintenance for long-term usability and to reduce the risk.
Whenever purchasing a Generac generator, it's essential to know which one would suit your house the best. Choose the right one so that you get the required power up for the appliances or equipment.
With the fast development of technology, there are different appliances, machines, and gadgets that have come into use for homes. It has helped in simplifying lives and offers the entire electrical needs even during a power cut. It is why you will need a generator so that you don't suffer if there are any power cuts.
Here are some of the types of generators which can be ideally installed for use in the home.
As the names imply, standby generators are used as a backup in case of the mains or any other prime source of power failure. These are generally found outside buildings to provide backup in case of electricity failure.
- starts automatically
- a source for permanent power protection
- It has two main components - one automatic transfer switch and one standby generator.
- Can operate on natural gas or liquid propane.
- Will run on the fuel type already in use in the facility or home.
- Uses an internal combustion engine.
- Senses the power loss within seconds and boots up electricity so that power loss is felt very briefly.
- Executes automatic weekly self-tests to see that it is properly reacting to a power loss.
- Is constantly monitoring utility power.
- Used in Hospital machinery
- Safety systems for elevators
- Used for fire protection systems and life support equipment
- They can sense when a power interruption has occurred and automatically start to provide emergency power.
As the name proposes, a versatile generator is a sort of generator that is versatile and plays out similar capacities that normally a traditional generator does, with helpful taking care of an excellent force backup. They use diesel, natural gas, propane as fuel.
A portable generator is a specific type of generator that is lightweight and moveable. It is mostly available with small tires. A portable generator is either gas-powered or can be a diesel engine generator. A portable generator is highly demandable, especially in homes, because usually, it is small in size and can run small home appliances such as Tv, Refrigerator, Ac, etc.
- It uses a combustion engine to conduct electricity.
- Sockets are given so that one can plug in electric appliances as required.
- It can be wired into a facility subpanels.
- It can be used on remote sites.
- It has enough power to run a television, freezer, and refrigerator.
- The engine should run at 3600 rpm to render the standard 60hz of current.
- Use a governor to control the engine's speed.
- Can power tools and lights.
- Used in refrigerators
- Used in spray guns systems
- Used in nail guns
- Useful in camping
- Useful during construction
- Useful at places that have night working
An inverter generator is an inverter that is powered by a generator. This has several advantages, including better fuel efficiency, less noise, longer life, and cleaner output power for sensitive devices.
- Relies on high-tech magnets.
- Uses advanced electronic circuitry.
- Undergoes three phases to produce electricity.
- Here the AC is first converted to DC and finally is inverted back to AC.
- Maintains a constant flowing of current to an appliance.
- More power-efficient
- Easy to change the voltage with the help of proper equipment.
- Easily fittable in cars
- Protecting electronic equipment from power surges like- car batteries, laptops, etc
- Great for outdoor areas
Maintenance of Generators:
- Condition of the battery. Measuring the Specific gravity of the battery, maintaining the water level.
- Condition of Self-starter motor and its belt.
- Maintaining oil level,
- Checking Air and oil filter
- Checking the carbon brush and pressure of the holder
- Tightness of electrical terminals and should be free from oil.
- Checking the changeover switch and its contacts.
- Checking Smoke leakage in silencer.
- Checking of earthing
Generators are mostly used when there's an emergency. If your city has been affected by a flood or hurricane and there's no electricity, an inverter generator can be a beneficial device. You'll stay protected in your home whether the temperature is too high or too low. When you're out on a picnic or a trip, you need to keep a portable fridge with you to keep the food and drinks fresh. A portable generator will provide the required energy to keep your food and drinks fresh, and it also keeps your phone or laptop running. Several businesses require much more electricity than general households, and when a power cut occurs, they have to suffer a considerable loss. Standby generators are the best for those businesses that need continuous electric supply without any interruptions.
So, according to the uses and personal requirements, one must choose the type of generator.