Generators: Basic Kinds and Their Features
A generator is a device that converts motive force (mechanical energy) into electrical power, which is used in an external circuit to produce electricity. Steam turbines, gas turbines, water turbines, internal combustion engines, wind turbines, and even hand cranks are examples of mechanical energy sources.
Generators are machines that produce voltage and current in the form of electric energy. They use the principle of electromagnetic induction to generate electricity. AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) generators are the two basic types of generators. While creating energy is the same in both forms, AC and DC power differ in terms of their applications - how loads are supplied with electricity.
AC Generator: Alternating Current Generators
A machine that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy with the output of alternating current or voltage is known as an AC generator. Mechanical energy is supplied to the AC Generator through steam turbines, gas turbines, and combustion engines. Alternating electrical power in the form of alternating voltage and current is the output.
Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction states that electromotive force (EMF or voltage) is generated in a current-carrying conductor that cuts a uniform magnetic field. AC generators work on this basis. The EMF generated is determined by the number of armature coil turns, magnetic field intensity, and rotating field speed.
Parts of an AC Generator:
- PRIME MOVER
- SLIP RINGS
- It can be easily stepped up and stepped down using transformers.
- The transmission link size is comparatively thinner.
- Its working helps in preventing loss of energy.
- The size of this generator is smaller than the DC generator.
- The maintenance cost is lower.
- It is easy to manufacture.
Practical Use of AC Generator:
They are used as a significant component in many applications such as
- Automobiles and are called Alternators.
- Power generation from Windmills.
- Power generation from Hydroelectric dams.
- They are used to power various small machines at our home or business, such as computers, coffee-making machines, and others.
AC Generator Price:
The price of AC Generators usually ranges from Rs. 7000 to Rs.67,000 depending upon the purpose for which the generator is to be purchased.
Honda EP-1000 850VA Handy Series Portable Generator₹4457117% OFF
DC GENERATOR: Direct Current Generators
The sort of electrical generator that converts mechanical energy into direct current electricity is a DC generator. The principle of dynamically driven EMF creation is used to convert energy here. These generators best serve Off-grid applications. DC generators provide electricity to electric storage equipment and power networks continuously (DC).
Parts of DC Generator:
A DC generator can also be used as a DC Motor that comprises the following major parts
- Armature Windings
- Pole Shoe
Types of DC Generator:
Separately Excited:Separately Excited Generators generate the EMF required to provide the voltage using an external current supply from a source such as a battery.
Self Excited:EMF is generated by Self Excited Generators using the power generated by their magnets. It is further classified into three categories Series of Wound, Shunt Wound, and Compound Wound.
Permanent Magnet DC:A permanent magnet is used to generate electricity in generators, although small motors like dynamos do not produce much energy.
Practical Application of DC Generator:
- They are used for power and lighting purposes.
- They are used for lighting Arc lamps, stable current generators, and boosters.
- They are used to reimburse the voltage drop within feeders.
- They are used to provide power supply for hostels, lodges, offices, and other places.
- Generally, the DC machines are used in supplying excitation of an Alternator. They are also used in welding processes, variable-speed motor drives, and electrolytic and electroplating processes.
DC Generator Price:
The price of a DC Generator is usually less than that of an AC Generator. Thus, the initial cost involved in a DC Machine is less. However, it is easy to distribute power with an AC generator with the help of transformers which is not possible in the case of DC Generators.
A small generator is a portable generator that runs on gas or fuel and provides temporary electrical power. The engine drives a tiny turbine, which generates useful electricity up to a particular wattage level. Electrical appliances and tools can directly plug into the generator's sockets, or the generator can professionally hook into a home's sub-panel.
Due to increasing issues of power cuts at various places in India, building up a power backup system has become necessary. The smart solution is to get a Small Generator, which will help us keep the essential gadgets functioning for a long time. These either may be portable or standby generators with a capacity of 2000 to 7000 Watts. These generators are energy efficient as it regulates the engine speed as per the power requirements of the appliances. The generators are designed to ensure a constant power flow to the appliances and simultaneously regulate the voltage. These generators use high-tech magnets and use advanced electronic circuitry. Let us bring the latest lightweight generators and ensure that we are never in dark mode.
Q. What are the main parts of a generator?
Allows the fuel source to be converted into usable energy and performs its mechanical function.
Stores and pumps the appropriate fuel to the engine.
Helps to regulate the voltage output.
The component that is responsible for generating power output. It works based on the principle of Electromagnetic Induction.
Releases coolant that helps in preventing the generator from getting overheated.
Collects the hot gases released from combustion and releases them out to the atmosphere.
It is attached to the engine, which pumps oil to avoid metal-to-metal contact.
It helps store the energy supplied by the battery chargers, which is essential to start the engine.
This is one of the significant parts of a generator that helps control the device.
Main Assembly Frame:
It houses the generator and is where all the different parts are built onto.
Q. What is the most common type of generator?
A. Gas Generators Reasons-
- They are powered with the help of gasoline, which is readily available.
- It Falls within a low-cost spectrum.
- However, there might be a shortage of gasoline where there are hindrances in the supply of electricity.
- These generators are available in small sizes, thus making them easily portable. Depending on their power output, we can quickly move these generators around according to our needs and requirements.
- They can use them at homes or other work sites, including construction sites and many more.
- However, overuse of its feature of portability will result in higher maintenance costs for the entity.
- It is preferred to use a standby gasoline generator for domestic use as the power requirement is less. It will not make disturbing noises that otherwise gasoline generators do make.
- These generators don’t function properly in colder temperatures.
- It also produces relatively high emissions.
Q. How long will a predator generator last?
A. It depends on the model of the generator that we choose.
- The Predator 2000 generator runs typically for 6 hours at 50% load.
- For the more extensive open frame Predator generators, for instance, Predator 8750, it is claimed that it can run for 12 hours at half load.
Q. What is the difference between an Inverter generator and a generator?
A. While a generator produces electrical power from external sources, an Inverter draws power from a fixed DC source and converts that power into AC.
- An inverter inverts the direct current output into alternating current, which is usually used by all household appliances. In contrast, a generator generates electricity from different sources of mechanical energy.
- Both have their fair share of pros and cons.