Electrical cables and wires are the backbones of any industrial setup or Factory. If cables fail or face any interruption, even for a moment, the entire system comes to a halt leaving you with costly downtime and loss. To resolve this, cables and wires should be maintained well. One must know some of the basic dos and don’ts of proper installation, maintenance, and preventive measures for cables and wires. Here are some basic guidelines and preventive measures that can increase the lifespan of wires and cables.
Preventive Measures before Installation of Cables
It is best to prevent a problem than gobbling over the disastrous outcomes of a critical situation. So, before installations of cable, follow these tips:
- Ensure there are no scratches on the cable that compromises its durability.
- Don’t bend the cables beyond the recommended bend radius.
- Ensure there is no tension created
onthe wire or cable.
- Prevent twisting and kinking during the installation.
- Always ensure that cables and wires do not come in contact with any element that can damage them.
Common Practices for Proper Wire and Cable Care
As mentioned above, to reduce downtime, and non-conformance issues, and increase overall efficiency with longer runs, maintenance of wires and cables is very important. Let’s discuss some of the maintenance tips:
Choose the Right Wire and Cable
- Choose the most appropriate cable suitable for your industry usage. Acquire knowledge about different kinds of cables that are available in the market.
- Choose the suitable cable size recommended for your industry. You can look for things like safety regulations, carrying capacity, voltage drop, ambient temperature, mechanical strength, etc.
- Train and educate staff for periodic maintenance so they can identify the signs of any failure.
Prevention of Damage
- Keep a close watch when the wires are being installed. Avoid kinking or twisting of wires during installation. Wires should be laid as straight as possible.
- Avoid tension and run-overs.
- Take note of the minimum bend radius.
- Prevent any impact, puncture or crushing that may damage the wire jacket.
- Keep wires and cables away from direct flame.
Make Cable Reel Adjustments
- Reverse cable ends to prevent one end from prolonged exposure to the harsh environment.
- Tie cable to avoid back spooling.
- Maintain proper tension.
- Note the overload current.
- Account for voltage drop, if left unaccounted that may lead to premature machine failure due to overheating.
Make Repairs on Time
- Check wires and cables regularly to avoid any major mishaps in the future.
- Repair wires or cables immediately if and when needed
- Crushed and damaged cable should be removed before that leads to any unsafe conditions.
Always Maintain the Records
- It is advised to maintain the repository of cables and wires installed in your industry. It gives an idea about the lifespan of their working.
- Have a record of the cable laying procedure for all future reference.
- Maintain a record of the areas where a breakdown usually occurs.
- Remove wire and cable for repairs.
- Have a regular analysis of wires and cables performance.
These are a few maintenance tips that one should follow to ensure the efficient and continuous running of your industrial system. The guidelines stated above can help you take preventative measures in case of any failure. If you follow these measures you can save the expensive outages that can set the whole working system out of control.
If you are looking to buy superior quality cables and wires online, browse through our website moglix.com. We have the best assortment of brands like 3M, AG Lite, Anchor, Aquawire, Polycab, Finolex, Havells, HPL, KEI, Luminous, Syska and many more.