A heat gun is a gadget which is used to discharge a wave of hot air. Heat guns usually have the form of an elongated body pointing at what is to be heated, with a handle at its right angle and a trigger attached to it; it looks similar to a normal hand gun. Hence, the name heat gun. Heat guns are pretty useful hand tools. They act just like hair dryers but they just discharge more heat than the hair dryers do.
There are major 4 types of heat guns-
- Electric heat gun
Their main source of fuel is electricity. They can be corded or cordless. They are most popular for craft work, industrial work etc.
- Gas powered heat guns
They are used in heavy duty jobs such as welding. They use either butane or propane gas.
- Infrared heat guns
These guns are very cheap and use infrared heat instead of hot air. These kinds of guns are ideal for small kind of projects.
- Industrial heat gun
As the name suggests, these guns are used in industrial work. They are designed to do large and heavy-duty jobs like stripping old paint from large areas.
Major uses of Heat guns are-
- Shrink Wrapping – Its major use is in shrink wrapping. It heats the plastic film in such a way that the film gets tightly wrapped around the product without any residual left.
- Drying– Being a power tool, a heat gun can be used, where short drying time is required. For example, drying a damp piece of wood or even drying small surface which is just been painted.
- Removing– heat guns can also be used in removing paints or even bumper stickers. It becomes easy to remove stickers as it softens the adhesives making them removable.
- Heat shrink tube– Heat shrink tubes are kind of tubes which shrink as soon as they come in contact with heat. They are widely used in joining electrical wires etc.
- Softening– Any substance which is first liquid or soft before they turn solid or gets harden can usually be softened again with the use of heat gun. For example, candle wax which has dripped onto a surface can harden up and leave a residue when it is scraped away. By heating, the wax then becomes removable.