For the safety of workers in the mining industry, the Mines Act 1952 was inforced. This act amended and consolidated the law relating to the regulation of labor and safety in mines. This act comprehensively and exclusively deals with health, welfare and the safety of the workers in the mining industry. Elaborately this acts basically deals with:
- The kind of health services that should be provided to the workers
- The maximum working hours depending on the nature and intensity of physical labor
- Appointment of a chief inspector that has the power to examine and inquire in order to ascertain that the provisions of this Act are followed properly
The act includes many sections that ensure the working conditions of the miners are met and proper safety and medical guidelines apt to their work environment.
The Act is administered by the Ministry of Labour and Employment through the Directorate General of Mines Safety (DGMS). It is an Indian Government regulatory agency for safety in mines and oil-fields. It conducts inspections and enquires issues in the mining industry. The main purpose of DGMS is to reduce the risk of occupational diseases and injuries among the mineworkers. This act also tends to improve safety and health standards, practices and performance in the mining industry.
Let’s look at a few guidelines under this act for the Mining Industry
Provide Drinking water
- Water is a basic necessity for every person. So, as per the Mines Act, every mine should have an effective arrangement to provide sufficient drinking water supply to the workers
- Water should be provided on the scale of at least 2 liters per person
- Also, the place where drinking water is placed, it should be labeled as ‘DRINKING WATER’ that is easily readable and approachable to everyone.
- Examiners are also appointed to check the proper supply of drinking water to all the workers
- There should be separate toilets and bathrooms for males and females at convenient places
- The toilets should be at the place that is easily accessible to every worker
- The toilets and bathrooms in the workplace should be properly lighted and ventilated
- The number of toilets made in the workplace should be according to the number of workers in the industry
- Every mine shall have a proper number for first-aid boxes that are easily accessible to everyone.
- Also, every mine should be well-equipped and ready for every kind of emergency.
- There should be a person appointed who is responsible to keep a check on the first-aid box and make sure that these boxes are readily available to the workers.
- There should be proper conveyance available so a person can be taken to the hospital in case of any emergency.
- In every mine, there should be a proper medical room that also has trained nursing staff.
Report Any Accident Issues
- Inspectors are assigned to ensure that every cause of danger or accidents is reported well in time.
- Inspector also needs to take care of the equipment used in the mining industry. They need to ensure that the equipment is in good condition.
- Any kind of damage to the equipment or any accident or injury at workplace need to be reported to the concerned authority
- They also have to notice any signs of diseases in workers and take necessary preventive measures
- Also, they need to investigate the cause of disease or accident, if any.
The government has the authority to appoint inquiry in case of accidents.
Other Safety Measures to Follow in Mining Industry
As mentioned above, the government has made some preventive measures knowing the risks associated with the mining industry. But, apart from that, it is important to take some other necessary safety measures.
Get Professional Training
All workers should undergo regular safety training. Safety training sessions that contain both theory and practical components can be very effective. Workers who take on exhausting roles may be sent for regular health and fitness checks.
Always Wear Safety Equipment
There are many safety equipment that mining workers could use for their protection – helmets, safety glasses, gloves and more. It is very important that all workers wear the necessary safety equipment during their working shifts.
Follow the Latest Safety Standards
Ensure all safety equipment is in good condition, serviced regularly and satisfies all the latest safety standards. Replace the item if it no longer complies with current safety standards. Never allow staff to use outdated safety equipment, even for a short period of time.
If you follow the mining act and above-mentioned safety guidelines, everyone at a workplace will be safe and injuries and accidents will be minimized. You can also buy safety equipment for your employees from our website moglix.com at a very reasonable price.