Either you are a worker in the manufacturing industry or run a factory; you must be familiar with a plangent sound of sirens and alarms. Heavy equipment and machinery used in the workplace also make a blasting sound while running. Due to this, the chances of eardrum getting damaged are very high. There are so many people working in the manufacturing industry who suffers from hearing problems. Its prevention is very important as it can lead to permanent damage to the ears. To avoid this, one should be aware of using correct hearing protection equipment as per his workplace. Let’s discuss some important factors before selecting hearing protection devices.
Things to Know about Hearing Protection Devices
As we discussed above several risks associated with a noisy workplace, there are a few factors that are important to consider:
- Wearing a hearing protector is important if the noise or sound level at a workplace exceeds 85 decibels. By using a hearing protector, the risk of hearing loss can be reduced.
- A complete hearing conservation program can also be implemented that includes noise assessment, hearing protector selection, employee training, and education, maintenance inspection, audiometric testing, program evaluation, and record keeping.
- A hearing protector should be selected carefully, as its effectiveness is reduced if the hearing protectors do not fit properly.
- To maintain the effectiveness of a hearing protector, do not tamper or try to modify them
Few Measures before Selecting Hearing Protectors
- Select a hearing protector as per your work environment and other safety gear you are using at your workplace.
- Get the one that provides adequate protection.
- Make sure that it should be comfortable enough to be worn.
- Consider the temperature and humidity in the workplace before buying hearing protectors.
- Ensure that it provides adequate communication and audibility that enables you to hear alarm or warning sounds.
Types of Hearing protectors you can choose
There are different types of hearing protectors available in the market and you can choose the one as per your requirement.
Ear Plugs- These are inserted in the ear canal and are available in different ranges like moldable, disposable, reusable or custom molded earplugs.
Ear Muffs- Earmuffs are worn over the head and have sound attenuating material and soft ear cushions that fit around the ear and hard outer cups.
Ear Muffs with Attached Helmet- These hearing protectors are perfect for the workers who require head safety and hearing protection both. These hearing protectors have attached helmet with ear muffs.
How to Pick my Hearing Protector?
Choosing a right hearing protector is very important and it depends on a number of factors including level of noise, comfort, and suitability of the hearing protector for a worker and his environment. One of the most important factors that should be considered is the desired noise reduction. If the noise exposure is intermittent, ear muffs are more preferred over earplugs as they may be inconvenient to remove and reinsert.
Things to Know about Fitting of Hearing Protectors
For complete protection from noise, it is very important to check if the hearing protector fits you perfectly. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions. If using earplugs, make sure to pull the ear outward and upward to enlarge and straighten the ear canal and insert a plug with clean hands. Make sure that hearing protector tightly seals within the ear canal. Also, ensure that hair and clothing should not be in its way.
Maintenance Tips for Hearing Protection devices
If you want your hearing protector to give you complete protection and last long, follow these maintenance tips:
- Check hearing protection gear on a regular basis for wear and tear.
- Replace ear cushions or plugs that are no longer pliable
- If headbands are stretched and they do not keep ear cushions snugly against the head, replace that unit.
- Disassemble ear muffs to clean regularly.
- Wash ear muffs with a mild liquid detergent in warm water, and then rinse them in clean warm water. Make sure that the sound-attenuating material does not get wet.
- Use a soft brush to remove skin oil and dirt that can harden ear cushions.
- Squeeze excess moisture from the plugs and then place them on a clean surface to air dry.
If you are working in the manufacturing industry and facing hearing issues, a hearing protector is a perfect solution. Now, as you are aware of the importance of hearing protectors and are aware of different types, you can buy the one depending on your needs. You can visit moglix.com for a wide selection from top brands at affordable prices.